Monday, February 9, 2009

Half Trog



9m 1500ft

Went to this race with my brother on 7/2/09, in Wadsworth, Hebden Bridge.The conditions were very dangerous, black ice, and thick snow cover. Had my kit bag, and got away without having to have it checked.
The race started with a track up an icy path, and then went on to the moorlands. A steady incline for some time and I kept it nice and easy to avoid early burnout.
I felt like I was running well until we came to the first descent where unfortunately I lost my shoe. It was stuck in the ice a few steps behind me and the only way of gettimg it back on was to untie the iced laces. Knightmare, as a consequence about 5 people overtook me, and I lost valuable time. Next came a fun section where we had to go down a hill - the only way possible being on our bums!

Next came a huge ascent which was zapping, and this lead onto about a mile stretch of open fens with feet of snow. This is were I felt very strong and kept running the whole way, kind of motivating as I felt very strong.

Had a gel after about an hour, and felt really good, was catching a group of about 8 but then went the wrong way down a hill and as a consequence lost about another 10 mins. Would have knocked about 10 mins off otherwise.

Last hill was a bugger but was ok as I knew the chasing group were not as fit as me as I had overtook them all. Stu pulled me up the final road hill. and came home in 2:01 in 21st position. Stu was 5th in 1:34.

No comments:

 
table.RAStats { background-color: #E7FFE7; border: 1px solid #6F6F6F; } span.RATitle { font-size: 12px; font-weight: bold; } span.RALabel { font-weight: bold; color: #333333; } span.RAValue { color: #8080FF; }